Matt is named The One
TV presenter Matt Baker has been confirmed as the new host of BBC1’s The One Show.
Matt, who grew up in Easington, has long been the frontrunner to land the job after he won an army of fans, including many in Hartlepool and east Durham, for his athletic performances as runner-up on last year’s Strictly Come Dancing.
Mr Baker, who first found fame as a Blue Peter presenter, had been a success as a stand-in and replaces Jason Manford who quit the prime-time magazine show.
He has been busy with rehearsals and performances for the Strictly tour for the past few weeks and BBC chiefs say he will continue to present Countryfile.
He will take his place alongside co-host Alex Jones from February 14.
He said: “I’m over the moon to be joining The One Show as a full-time presenter.
“The BBC has made everything possible so I can also continue presenting Countryfile. It’s the ideal combination for me and I can’t wait to get started.”
BBC1 controller Danny Cohen said: “With such a wide range of experience including Blue Peter, Countryfile, and Strictly Come Dancing, Matt’s perfectly placed to take his place on The One Show sofa alongside Alex Jones.”
- Liverpool in advanced talks for duo as Newcastle target Bent has £8m price tag slapped on his head
- Borussia Dortmund’s big-money move for Sunderland’s Ji Dong-won
- Sunderland owner wears anti-Newcastle United badge to meet Tanzanian president
- Newcastle’s fixture list for 2013/2014
- Tyne-Wear derby hero David Vaughan to leave Sunderland for Crystal Palace
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Peterlee
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 10 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: South east